Happy Mid-Autumn Festival
Mid-Autumn Festival is just around the corner on 19th September 2013. Are you busy looking for some simple recipe for mooncake? Well, try this really simple Snow Skin Mooncake recipe! Snow skin mooncake tastes similar to Japanese Mochi.As a follow up to my previous blog post featuring traditional Snow Skin Mooncake recipe obtained from my good friend Helen, here’s another variety adopted from Y3K cookbook which is so easy and the result is so presentable that a novice cook can easily impress!
Only 4 major ingredients are needed for this recipe - cooked glutinous rice flour (Gao Fen), icing sugar, shortening and water. In addition, don’t forget to get one cute little mooncake mould to make your favourite shape. This year, I bought myself another small mini square mooncake mould.
However Auntie Lan commented that it was best to use round-shaped mould, so as to symbolize reunion/unity, as in the case of the big round full moon in this mid autumn evening “月圆人团圆”
If you wish to have a more authentic version of the homemade mooncake, you can also try to make your own fillings such as Taru/Yam paste, mung bean paste, red bean paste which I introduced before. Click on the links to get to the old blog posts for the recipe.
|Coconut Milk Mung Bean paste filling|
I had shared these mini mooncakes with my colleagues in the office.
Snow Skin Mooncakes
150g roasted glutinous rice flour (Gao Fen)
150g icing sugar
Approx 180g cold water
Food coloring - optional
Moon Cake Filling
I used my homemade Yam/Taro paste, Red Bean Paste and Christine's recipe Coconut Milk Mung Bean Paste
1. Sift the cooked glutinous rice flour and icing sugar in a mixing bowl.
2. Add in shortening to the flour mixture, combine the mixture, add in cold water and knead into dough form.
3. If using food coloring, divide the dough into equal portion, add drops and knead the dough with your hands so that it comes together to become soft dough.
4. Divide dough, flatten the ball of snow skin and roll out until you get a thin circle.
5. Place the ball of filling in the center of the dough and seal the filling with the snowskin dough by wrapping around the fillings with your hands.
6. Place snow skin ball into dusted (with cooked glutinous flour) moon cake mould and press down on the lever hard so that the moon cake shape is formed and the face plate makes imprint.
7. Press to release and moon cake. Repeat with remaining dough.
8. Chill before serving.
The mini mooncake I made using the ratio of 25g dough to filling 30g.
食用色素 - 可选